How to Perform Umrah Step by Step Guide
Like Hajj, Umrah is also one of the best deeds that Muslims can perform to please Allah Almighty. The act of Umrah is known to wash one’s soul from past committed sins. And people from all around the world gather in Makkah to perform Umrah.
GET DETAILED INFORMATION ABOUT UMRAH PACKAGES
Ihram and It’s Limitations:
- Ihram is the first pillar of Umrah. First of all, take a bath with the intention to wear Ihram and wear two pieces of cloth in Miqat or before Miqat, but wearing Ihram in Miqat is preferable. The Miqat is a place where pilgrims wear Ihram to perform Hajj or Umrah.
- Before wearing Ihram all of us should know the restrictions of Ihram, in the state of Ihram, following activities such as cutting nails, cutting or removing hair (from any part of the body), use of scents, wearing stitched clothes, hunting of animals (even a lice), covering face or head, wearing shoes or sandal and sexual activity are prohibited for pilgrims.
- Now offer two Rakat of nawafal by covering your head, and then with your head uncovered declare the intention (Niyyah) of performing Umrah by saying”O Allah! I intend to perform Umrah, please make it easy for me and accept it from me”.
- After wearing Ihram in Miqat pilgrims will start their journey towards Masjid Al-Haram while reciting theTalbiyah and the following supplication continuously meaning “In the name of Allah I place my trust in Allah, and there is neither might nor power except Allah”.
- It is mandatory for pilgrims to recite Talbiyah loudly at least once but reciting Talbiyah three times is preferable.
- Now enter in Masjid Al-Haram while reciting the following supplication “Allahumaaftahliabwabarahmatika” meaning “O Allah, open the doors of your mercy on me”.
- Keep your eyes on Kabah while entering in Masjid Al-Haram and say “Allahu Akbar Allahu Akbar, Laailahail-Allahu, Allahu Akbar Allahu Akbar, walillahilhamad” meaning “Allah is the Greatest, Allah is the Greatest, There is no God except Allah, Allah is the Greatest, Allah is the Greatest, to Him belongs all Praise”.
- Now enter in the Masjid Al-Haram and recite DarudShareef and supplicate to Allah and move forward towards Kabah for performing Tawaf.
The Second Pillar of Umrah is Tawaf:
- The second pillar of Umrah is Tawaf; pilgrims will have to take seven rounds of Kabah anti clockwise in Tawaf.
- Always start Tawaf from the side of Hajar-e-Aswad(a black stone fixed in one side of Baitullah). Now with the intention of performing Tawaf recite “BismillahiAllahu Akbar” just before starting Tawaf.
- Pilgrims will have to Kiss Hajar-e-Aswadif easily possible for them, or otherwise they will point their hands towards Hajar-e-Aswadthan kiss their hands, it is called Istilam and after performing Istilam pilgrim will start their Tawaf.
- During the Tawaf, it is compulsory for all men to keep their right shoulder uncover, men should also need to performraml (walk briskly) during the first three rounds of Tawaf and walk normally during the remaining four rounds.
- After completing each round pilgrims will have to kiss Hajar-e-Aswad or perform Istilam while reciting “Rabbanaatina fid-duniyahasanahwafilaAkhiratihasanahwaqinaazad an-naar” meaning “Our Lord, grant us good in this life and good in the hereafter and save us from the punishment of the Hellfire”.
- After performing Tawaf pilgrims will proceed to the station of Prophet Ibrahim known as Maqaam-e-Ibrahim and offer two Rakat of nawafal anywhere in Masjid Al-Haram near Maqaam-eIbraahim without covering the head.
- It is preferable to recite Surat Al-Kafiroon in first Rakat and Surat Al-Ikhlas in second rakat.
- After the completion of Tawaf the pilgrims will have to perform Sa’yee. To perform Sa’yee pilgrims will proceed towards the hill of Safa.
- In Sa’yee, pilgrims will walk/run back and forth seven times between the hills of Safa & Marwa. Safa and Marwa hills are located at north and south of the Kabah respectively.
- Now pilgrims will leave the Masjid Al-Haram and recite the following supplication “Allahhummainni as-aluka min fadlikaWarahmatika” meaning “O Allah, I ask your favor from you and guard me from devil”.
- Now pilgrims will climb on the Safa hill, face the Kabah, raise their hands for dua and recite verse number 158 of SuratulBaqara followed by any supplication, then say “Allahu Akbar” three times and ask Allah for whatever you wish.
- After this, pilgrims will come down from Safa hill and proceed towards Marwa hill while reciting “Subhan Allah, walhumdulillah, wa la ilahail-AllahuAllahu Akbar, wa la haolawa la quwwataillabillah”meaning”Allah is Pure, All the praise belongs to Allah, There is no God but Allah, Allah is Greatest, There is neither strength nor any power except Allah”.
- During the walk when pilgrims reach to green pillars, men have to run between these pillars but female will walk at their normal pace. Similarly in every trip from Safa hill to Marwa hill or from Marwa hill to Safa hill men will have to run between these green pillars and women will walk with their normal pace.
- When reach at the top of Marwa hill face the Kabah and praise Allah and recite the same supplications that were recited on Safa hill, now one trip is completed, continue to do the seven trips from Safa hill to Marwa hill and from Marwa hill to Safa hill and finally end up at Marwa hill.